DOs and DON’Ts if you are arrested
- DO call an attorney as soon as you are arrested or know that you are under investigation.
- DO tell law enforcement that you want an attorney present during any questioning or line-up.
- DO exercise your right to remain silent. Make sure to tell the police you want to remain silent.
- DO tell your lawyer the truth. Lying to your lawyer will only hurt your case.
- DO NOT talk to the police without first speaking to a lawyer. Even if you have nothing to hide and just want to explain the situation, your words could be misconstrued and this could hurt your case.
- DO NOT talk about your case to anyone except your lawyer. This means do not talk to your friends, family, or cellmates as they could later be forced to testify against you by the prosecution. Once your lawyer is informed, he will let you know if you can talk about your case and to whom.
- DO NOT try to get the alleged witness(es) or the alleged victim(s) to change their stories.
- DO NOT resist or flee from the police. This will only cause you more problems and could result in additional charges.
- DO NOT sign anything, no matter what, without your attorney present.
At the Law Offices of Arash Hashemi, we provide clients with passionate and experienced representation. If you have been arrested or charged with a crime and would like to schedule an initial consultation with a lawyer at our firm, contact us by phone at (310) 448-1529 or contact us online. We promptly return phone calls and emails. Our office is conveniently located in the Westside Towers in Los Angeles, within minutes of Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Westwood, and steps away from the Expo/Bundy Station. We have flexible hours and weekend appointments, and we will visit you in jail to discuss your case.