Los Angeles Law Firm Helps You Fight Fraud Charges
Let an experienced attorney protect your rights
Fraud involves making an intentional misrepresentation for your financial gain. Although fraud is a nonviolent, white-collar offense, it is harshly punished by the criminal justice system. Many fraud cases are investigated by law enforcement for weeks, months or years. The moment you suspect that you are the subject of a fraud investigation, contact the Law Offices of Arash Hashemi and let us protect your rights.
Types of fraud crimes
Fraud can be prosecuted on the state or federal level. Below are common examples of fraud cases our Los Angeles law firm is prepared to handle:
- Mail fraud: If you use the U.S. mail in any way to send or receive anything related to a fraudulent scheme, you have committed a federal crime. If convicted of mail fraud, you face several years in prison and costly fines.
- Medicare fraud: Individuals who try to defraud the Medicare system face severe penalties.
- Internet fraud: You may be charged with Internet fraud if you use the Internet to commit or further a fraudulent scheme. The penalties you face vary based on the specific offense you are charged with, including identity theft, credit card fraud or phishing.
- Credit card fraud: Credit card fraud is a form of fraud committed with a credit card. It can involve the theft of the actual cards, taking over someone else’s account, application fraud, which involves obtaining a credit card in someone else’s name. If the credit card fraud involved using electronic transfer, or regular mail you could face wire or mail fraud charges as well.
- Mortgage fraud: The FBI’s website describes mortgage fraud as schemes that employ, “material misstatement, misrepresentation, or omission related to a real estate transaction which is relied on by one or more parties to the transaction.” Mortgage fraud is serious and fraught with risk. It can result in both civil and criminal penalties which can include fines and jail time.
- Bank fraud: Bank fraud occurs when someone knowingly devises and carries out any kind of scheme to purposefully defraud a bank. This is a serious offense which can carry the punishment of up to 30 years in federal prison and steep fines. Some examples of bank fraud include but are not limited to:
- Check fraud
- Gift card fraud
- Phishing and Internet fraud
Other types of fraud include securities fraud and real estate fraud.
One of the penalties you face if you are convicted of fraud in Los Angeles is asset forfeiture. This means that anything related to your fraudulent plan may be seized by law enforcement. For example, if you used a computer, cellphone and printer to commit fraud, these items may be seized.
Fraud defense lawyer is ready to fight for you
If you face fraud charges, we at the Law Offices of Arash Hashemi are here to help you fight back. To schedule an initial consultation with a lawyer at our firm, contact us 24 hours a day at (310) 448-1529 or contact us online to schedule a consultation. Our office is conveniently located in the Westside Towers in Los Angeles, within minutes of Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Westwood, and steps away from the Expo/Bundy Station. We have flexible hours and weekend appointments, and we will visit you in jail to discuss your case.