Changing your name legally in California requires careful navigation through a series of specific legal requirements and procedural steps. At The Law Offices of Arash Hashemi, we recognize the personal significance and impact of this decision. Whether you are changing your name due to marriage, divorce, personal identity affirmation, or for safety reasons, our experienced team is committed to guiding you efficiently and effectively through each stage of the process.

Our dedication extends beyond basic legal representation. We strive to simplify this potentially complex process, ensuring it is as smooth and understandable as possible. If you’re ready to begin this significant transition, contact our office today. You can reach us at (310) 448-1529 to discuss how we can assist in transforming your name to better reflect your identity.






    Understanding the Legal Requirements for Name Changes

    In California, changing your name legally can be driven by various personal and significant reasons such as marriage, divorce, affirming your personal identity, or for safety considerations. These reasons underscore the unique circumstances of each individual seeking a new identity.

    Valid Reasons for Name Changes:

    • Marriage: Opting to adopt a spouse’s surname or a combination of both surnames.
    • Divorce: Reverting to a pre-marriage surname as part of starting anew.
    • Personal Identity Affirmation: Changes to reflect one’s gender identity or cultural heritage more accurately.
    • Safety Considerations: Changes made to protect one’s safety in cases such as escaping domestic violence.

    Legal Steps for Name Change Recognition:

    1. Filing a Petition: Our attorney will prepare and file a ‘Petition for Change of Name’ on your behalf at the Superior Court of your county.
    2. Public Notice: We manage the process of publishing your intent to change your name in a local newspaper, as required by law, unless this step is waived for safety reasons.
    3. Court Hearing: We will represent you during the court hearing, where the judge will consider any objections and decide on your petition.

    Steps in the Name Change Process:

    Filing a Petition:

    • Preparation: Our process begins with an in-depth consultation to gather all necessary details, such as your current legal name, the new name you wish to adopt, and your reasons for the name change. This step ensures that all aspects of your request are well-understood and properly documented.
    • Documentation: Our attorney meticulously drafts your ‘Petition for Change of Name,’ ensuring that every detail is accurate and meets all legal standards required by California law.
    • Filing: The completed petition is filed with the Superior Court in the county where you reside. We handle all interactions with the court to ensure that your documents are submitted correctly and on time.

    Public Notice:

    • Publication: Once the petition is filed, we coordinate the publication of your intent to change your name in a local newspaper. This required step serves to inform the community of your intent and allows for the possibility of objections.
    • Duration: The notice is published once a week for four consecutive weeks. Our team manages this process, ensuring compliance with all legal requirements and timelines.

    Court Review:

    • Hearing: After the publication period, a court hearing is scheduled. At this hearing, our attorney represents you, advocating on your behalf and addressing any concerns that may arise.
    • Judicial Review: The judge will review your petition, consider any objections raised, and evaluate the legitimacy of your request based on the information presented.
    • Outcome: If the judge approves your petition, an official order for the name change is issued. We then assist you in taking the necessary steps to legally establish your new name across all official records and documents.

    Special Considerations for Name Changes

    Minor Name Changes: Changing a minor’s name legally requires the consent of both parents or legal guardians. In situations where parents do not agree on the name change, legal intervention may be necessary. Our firm specializes in these cases, providing expert legal representation to navigate court procedures and advocating for the best interests of the child.

    Adult Name Changes: Adults seeking to change their name must provide a valid reason and the necessary identification documents. Our firm assists by ensuring that the documentation is complete and conforms to legal standards. We guide each client through the filing process, offering advice on how to handle any potential challenges that may arise.

    Family Name Changes: For families looking to change their surname collectively, perhaps due to adoption or a unified decision, the process involves filing coordinated applications for all family members. Our firm manages this process to ensure consistency and compliance with legal requirements, making the transition as seamless as possible for the entire family.

    Role of Your Attorney in the Name Change Process

    In the name change process, our attorneys play a pivotal role in ensuring the success of your application. We begin by preparing and meticulously reviewing the ‘Petition for Change of Name’ to ensure all information is accurate and meets legal standards. Our firm handles all aspects of the filing process, including court interactions. This often includes representing clients during the court hearings, which may eliminate the need for your presence, depending on the circumstances.

    We also manage all the necessary legal documentation to ensure compliance with California’s legal standards. Our commitment is to provide comprehensive support throughout the process, making sure that every legal detail is attended to promptly and professionally.

    Why Choose The Law Offices of Arash Hashemi?

    When considering a legal name change in California, selecting experienced legal representation is crucial to navigate the process efficiently and effectively. At the Law Offices of Arash Hashemi, we provide a comprehensive approach to legal name changes, ensuring that every step is managed with precision and care.

    Benefits of Choosing Our Firm:

    • Avoid Common Mistakes: With extensive experience, we help you avoid common pitfalls that can complicate or delay the process.
    • Streamlined Procedures: We ensure a smooth process by managing all aspects of your name change, from initial petition to final court approval.
    • Personalized Service: Each case receives personalized attention, ensuring that your specific circumstances and needs are considered throughout the process.

    Specific Services Offered Include:

    • Filing Petitions: We handle the drafting and filing of your ‘Petition for Change of Name.’
    • Handling Publications: We manage the required public notices in local newspapers.
    • Preparing for Court: We prepare all necessary documents and represent you during court hearings.
    • Ensuring Compliance: We ensure that your name change complies with all legal formalities and California state laws.

    Contact a Los Angeles Name Change Attorney & Schedule Your Consultation Today

    Los Angeles Name Change Attorney helping clients with a legal name change

    For tailored legal assistance with your name change, contact the Law Offices of Arash Hashemi. We understand the personal significance of your decision and are committed to facilitating a smooth legal transition to your new name.

    Schedule a Consultation:

    Phone: (310) 448-1529


    Address: 11845 W Olympic Blvd #520, Los Angeles, CA 90064

    Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM, with flexible scheduling options available, including weekend appointments.

    Take the first step towards your new identity by scheduling a consultation today. We are here to provide the support and legal expertise you need to navigate this important change.






      11845 W Olympic Blvd #520, Los Angeles, CA 90064

      Monday—Friday 8:30AM–5:00PM

      (310) 448-1529